Motivation done right lets you motor through your to-do list like magic.
There are lots of ways to stop procrastinating. For instance, you are using a to-do list and a calendar to make short work of your academic tasks, aren’t you?
(Bestest to-do list ever? I love Workflowy.)
There is one uber-easy way to really make procrastination hard. It actually becomes fun to NOT procrastinate.
Here’s How to Kill Procrastination
- Get out your daily to-do list (or make one). You’ll start out by making it longer. The trick is in how you make it longer.
- After each of your current to-dos–and especially after the items you’re really tempted to procrastinate on–add a fun to-do; something you’ll really look forward to; pranking your roommate, playing your latest online addiction, watching hamster juggling videos, that kind of thing.
- Next, assign your tasks (the fun ones and the less fun ones) a time to complete. “Watching hamster juggling videos – 5 minutes. Shaving roommate’s back – 20 minutes. etc.” That will keep you from letting things drag out or from over-scheduling yourself.
- Keep your fun to work ratio at about 1 minute of fun to 10 minutes of work. For example, if I spend forty-five minutes studying my Econ homework, I might then allow myself five minutes of watching Smarter Every Day.
- Let the fun to-dos pull you through each of your less savory tasks. It’s a knockout punch for procrastination.
- Find yourself still procrastinating. Make the fun tasks more fun or increase their time until procrastination dissipates.
Let us know your favorite fun to-dos in the comments!© Cody Blair, All Rights Reserved.