char·y [chair-ee] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective, char·i·er, char·i·est.
1. cautious or careful; wary: He was chary of investing in oil wells.
2. shy; timid.
3. fastidious; choosy: She is excessively chary about her friends.
4. sparing (often fol. by of): chary of his praise.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Short Definition: Careful
- His comments on test papers were chary, often leaving his students mystified as to the reason for their grades.
- The chariest men you will ever meet are members o
- Chary when meeting new people, he mostly looked at his feet during the introductions.
Cherry > careful: A giant cartoon cherry is walking very carefully through a field with a sign posted saying, “Beware of Land Mines.”